Carbon monoxide poisoning to be discussed Jan. 11

January 9, 2013 | Events, UToday
By Casey Cheap

The potential for carbon monoxide poisoning will be the focus of a campus event Friday, Jan. 11, at noon in Student Union Room 2582.

CO-decalUT will partner with the Ohio Safe Home Coalition in order to educate students, faculty and staff on how carbon monoxide poisoning can result in serious medical complications or even death.

“We want to deliver a statement on the dangers of carbon monoxide and offer safety tips to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Nicole Meagher, UT emergency preparedness coordinator. “Educating the community on the dangers of carbon monoxide is always important; however, at this time of year it becomes critical as the winter season brings with it peak furnace and alternative heating source usage.”

Carbon monoxide poisoning is more prevalent during colder months of the year because of furnaces and other heating devices.

The 30-minute program will feature speakers from the Ohio Fire Marshal’s Office, the Maumee Fire Department and a carbon monoxide incident survivor. Dr. Paul Rega, UT professor of public health and preventative medicine, also will be speak at the event.

The purpose of the program will be to share basic information on what carbon monoxide poisoning is, why it is dangerous, how it can be released from certain appliances, how to identify symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure, and what to do if exposure is suspected.

Meagher said the free event is open to everyone in the Toledo community.

According to the Ohio Safe Home Coalition, carbon monoxide kills 500 people every year and sends 20,000 to the hospital.

Click to access the login or register cheese