University of Toledo freshman Jacob Harris placed sixth with a time of 27:16.7 at the USA Track & Field Junior Cross Country Championships Saturday in San Diego.
“Jacob came and accomplished his goal, which was to get into the top-six and make the U.S. Junior Team,” said Assistant Coach Nick Stenuf. “Considering he has been hurt for the past month with a nagging Achilles injury, this shows how strong and talented he is. To have a ‘bad’ race and to still execute the plan and make it is phenomenal. He also fell mid-race and got up. He is definitely a competitor.”Harris’ sixth-place finish landed him a spot on the U.S. Junior Team for the 2020 Pan Am Cross Country Championships, which will be held Saturday, Feb. 29, in Victoria, Canada.
USA Track & Field Junior Cross Country Championships
1. Corey Gorgas from Northern Arizona — 25:44.8
2. Evan Bishop from East Grand Rapids, Mich. — 26:21.6
3. Bridger Altice from Utah St. — 26:38.2
4. Alex Comerford from Syracuse — 26:40.7
5. Gabe Simonsen from Mustang, Okla. — 27:14.8
6. Jacob Harris from Toledo — 27:16.7
7. Javien Hale from New Town, N.D. — 27:39.6
8. Lucas Chung from St. Mary’s, Calif. — 27:53.0
9. Daniel Beam from Rio Rancho, N.M. — 28:02.5
10. Deshawn Goodwin from Wings of America — 28:10.5