Crossings residence hall to be renamed Presidents Hall | UToledo News

Categories

Archives

Resources

Categories

Archives

Resources

Crossings residence hall to be renamed Presidents Hall

The University of Toledo will honor four past University presidents by renaming the Crossings residence hall Presidents Hall.

The Crossings will be named Presidents Hall.

The Crossings will be named Presidents Hall.

In addition to the building being called Presidents Hall, each wing will bear the name of an individual leader — third UT President John Worthington Dowd, seventh president Philip Curtis Nash, eighth President Wilbur Wallace White and 15th President Daniel M. Johnson.

“Each of these leaders contributed significantly to the University’s success and growth,” President Lloyd Jacobs said. “We are proud to recognize them on the walls of one of our most popular student residence halls.”

The UT Board of Trustees approved the naming opportunity at its March 11 meeting when it also passed a resolution to demolish Dowd, White and Nash halls. The residence halls on the northwestern edge of Main Campus are unoccupied for the current academic year and in recent years only had been used for overflow student housing. Built in 1952, they are the oldest residence halls on campus and no longer meet the needs of today’s students.

Trustees also approved the demolition of the Westwood Annex building that previously housed the University Print Shop, which moved to its new location in the Student Union over spring break, and the coal-fired Power Plant on Health Science Campus that is no longer used.

The buildings, which collectively represent about 160,000 square feet of space, will be torn down in fiscal year 2014.

Comments are closed.