The Dean’s Club Symposium of the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences to recognize endowed chairs and endowed professorships will be held Tuesday, April 8, at 6 p.m. in Collier Building Room 1050 on Health Science Campus.
“These honorees are among UT’s most distinguished educators, researchers and health-care providers,” said Dr. Ron McGinnis, interim dean of the College of Medicine and Life Sciences.
“This is also an opportunity to once again express our thanks to the individuals and organizations who, through their generous gifts, are contributing to the advancement of science and the health of the community,” McGinnis said.
The endowed chairs and professors to be honored are:
• Dr. Christopher Cooper: Mercy Health System Chair of Excellence in Education;
• Dr. Deepak K. Malhotra: UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences Endowed Professorship in Nephrology;
• Dr. William Maltese: Helen and Harold McMaster Endowed Chair in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology;
• Dr. Kelly J. Manahan: Rita T. Sheely Endowed Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology;
• Dr. Sonia Najjar: Frederick W. Hiss Endowed Professor in Diabetes;
• Dr. Thomas Schwann: S. Amjad Hussain Professor of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery;
• Dr. Steven Selman: Frank D. Stranahan Endowed Chair for Oncological Research;
• Dr. Akira Takashima: Robert A. Stranahan Chair in Microbiology and Immunology;
• Dr. Gretchen Tietjen: Clair Martig Endowed Chair in Neurology; and
• Dr. James Willey: George Isaac Endowed Chair in Cancer Research.
The Dean’s Club was established to help the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences and the UT Medical Center meet a three-part mission of excellence in medical education, research and clinical care. Members’ gifts provide essential funds for scholarships, faculty research support and other innovative programs.