To celebrate Earth Day, Aramark Higher Education, the dining services partner at The University of Toledo, has committed to implement “green stakes,” five key sustainable practices across all of its operations by 2010.
• Implement an energy and water conservation program at every partner campus;
• Purchase only paper products made with recycled content;
• Utilize daily green cleaning products at all locations;
• Divert 100 percent of fryer oil waste; and
• Increase the level of sustainable food offerings served by at least 5 percent per year.
Aramark Higher Education also has partnered with Clean Air-Cool Planet, an independent, nonprofit organization, to create a calculator tool that more accurately assesses the carbon footprint or “foodprint” of foods served on campus by quantifying the environmental impact of growing, producing, transporting and disposing of food. Once developed, the new tool will help students make more responsible decisions about the foods they choose.
“The issues of climate change, energy conservation and the over-utilization of natural resources continue to impact everyone,” said Chris Stemen, senior director of sustainability and environmental stewardship with Aramark Higher Education. “Working with Clean Air-Cool Planet and future partners of the program, we will all better understand the environmental impact of our food choices and make both personal and environmentally responsible decisions about the foods we choose.”
In celebration of Earth Week, The University of Toledo Dining and Hospitality Services will:
• Sell “Drink to the Earth” 32 oz. mugs for $2.95 at Carter Hall POD and Rocky’s Grille;
• Participate in The University of Toledo printer ink cartridge recycling program;
• Partner with the University to develop a campus-wide recycling program and join Recyclemania in January 2010;
• Implement a reusable to-go container program in the fall; and
• Develop a composting program for the UT community.
Aramark enhances the living and learning experience and environment for more than 600 colleges and universities throughout North America.
The University of Toledo Dining and Hospitality Services was established in July 2008.