Discover downtown Toledo with free, guided lunchtime tours this summer.The weekly walking tours will run from Thursday, July 9, through Thursday, Sept. 3, from noon to 1 p.m. and will include a copy of the award-winning Discover Downtown Toledo Walking Tour Guidebook.
“The tours are a way for people to become reacquainted with the area,” said Irene Martin, librarian and preservationist at the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library. “We like people to get into the habit of looking up at the buildings on Washington Street and to become more aware of their surroundings.”
The tour schedule is:• July 9 — UpTown. See a neighborhood in transition. Meet at the Upton Green at Madison Avenue and 18th Street.
• July 16 — “Historic Church of St. Patrick’s.” Constructed between 1892 and 1902, St. Patrick’s Church celebrates the Irish roots of Toledo. Meet at 130 Avondale Ave.
• July 23 — The Oliver House. Built in 1859, tour the oldest commercial building in use in Toledo. Meet at 27 Broadway St. in the parking lot.
• July 30 — Trinity Episcopal Church. Explore how the Civil War affected the 1863 church. Meet at 316 Adams St.
• Aug. 6 — Panoramic Toledo. See the skyline tour of downtown from the east side of Toledo. Meet at the Docks outside of Forrester’s on the River in International Park.
• Aug. 13 — “What’s Happening at the Mud Hens?” Hear about what’s planned for Toledo’s historic Warehouse District. Meet at the corner of St. Clair and Washington streets.
• Aug. 20 — Bush Street History District. Check out Toledo’s Italianate colony that has a touch of Spain. Meet in front of 712 Bush St. Park on the street.
• Aug. 27 — Fort Industry Square and the Riverfront. Walk along the riverfront before the changes begin. Meet at Water Street and Jefferson Avenue, behind Fort Industry Square.
• Sept. 3 — The Valentine Theatre. Discover the famous players who appeared at the venue and the renovations that have kept it alive. Meet at the Superior Street entrance.
Parking is free on downtown Toledo streets between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Tours will take place rain or shine and are sponsored by The University of Toledo Jack Ford Urban Affairs Center and the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library.
For more information about the Discover Downtown Toledo Walking Tours, contact Martin at 419.259.5233 or email@example.com.