Learn more about the culture and contributions of Filipino Americans this month at The University of Toledo.
“We celebrate Filipino American Heritage Month in October and host various events throughout the month because it allows us to showcase the Filipino culture to the students on campus and to also showcase the talents of our members,” Ralph Palad, president of the Filipino American Association and UT student majoring in electrical engineering, said.
“Our biggest event, Philippine Culture Night on October 21, will have many cultural performances, food, and decorations with the theme of ‘Biyahe Sa Pilipinas,’ which translates to ‘Traveling to the Philippines.’ We hope it will show those who attend a lot of what the Philippines has to offer,” he said.
Listed by date, events will include:
• Wednesday, Oct. 4 — Filipino American Heritage Month Kickoff, noon, Thompson Student Union Trimble Lounge. Stop by to hear Filipino music, sample lumpia and halo-halo, and see a demonstration of Tinikling, a traditional folk dance.
• Tuesday, Oct. 10 — Food Workshop, 7 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2500. Learn how to make halo-halo, a popular Filipino dessert.
• Wednesday, Oct. 11 — Dance Workshop, 7 p.m., Health Education Center Dance Studio. Members of the Filipino American Association will teach Binasuan, a folk dance that involves balancing tricks.
• Wednesday, Oct. 18 — Leadership Workshop, 7 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 3010. Allan Mendoza, past president of the Filipino American Association, will lead the session.
• Saturday, Oct. 21 — Philippine Culture Night, 7 p.m., Thompson Student Union Auditorium. Experience cultural performances and food from the Philippines. Tickets: $10 for UT students with ID, $12.
• Wednesday, Oct. 25 — Language Workshop, 7 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2582. Learn some words and phrases.
• Thursday, Oct. 26 — Filipino American Association Meeting, 7 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2584.
For more information, go to utoledo.edu/studentaffairs/omss or call the Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419.530.2261.