In celebration and recognition of LGBTQA+ History Month, which runs through October, the Office of Multicultural Student Success, Sexuality and Gender Alliance, Catherine S. Eberly Center for Women, and the Office of Recreational Services have scheduled several events throughout the month.
The celebration begins on Tuesday, Oct. 5, with GAYme Night Kickoff from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Thompson Student Union Ingman Room. The event, also sponsored by the Global Latinx Student Union and the Filipino American Association, will feature trivia to learn about LGBTQA+ history in America and in Latinx and Filipino culture, as well as free food and a photo booth.
“OMSS is looking forward to partnering with a variety of student organizations and campus departments to host programming for LGBTQA+ History Month,” said Isis Walker, program coordinator for LGBTQA+ initiatives.
“The planning committee was intentional about developing programming that highlighted the variety of experiences present within the LGBTQ+ community. We want the UToledo community to have fun at these events but learn the important history as well.”
Other campus events and activities for LGBTQA+ History Month include:
• Friday, Oct. 8 — Gender Inclusive Movie Night, featuring a LGBTQ+ centered movie, at 7 p.m. in the Gender Inclusive Vortex Lounge in Presidents Hall.
• Monday, Oct. 11 — Loving Your Queerness, in celebration of both National Coming Out Day and Love Your Body Week, at 10 a.m. in Student Union Room 2500. Get a self-portrait taken in front of a rainbow closet door or simply relax and color in body positivity coloring books.
• Monday, Oct. 11 — LGBTQIA+ History Trivia Night, at 6 p.m. in the International House. Test your knowledge of the LGBTQIA+ community and history through a game of Jeopardy. Prizes will be given to the three highest scorers and snacks and drinks will be provided.
• Wednesday, Oct. 13 — LGBTQIA+ History Trivia Night, at 6 p.m. in the International House. Test your knowledge of the LGBTQIA+ community and history through a game of Jeopardy. Prizes will be given to the three highest scorers and snacks and drinks will be provided.
• Wednesday, October 20 — LGBTQA+ History Month Watch Night, at 6 p.m. in the Office of Multicultural Student Success Lounge, Student Union Room 2500. The Office of Multicultural Student Success will screen “The Death and Life of Marsha P Johnson,” a documentary about Johnson, a trans activist who was a trailblazer in the fight for LGBTQ+ civil rights. There will be free snacks at the event.
• Thursday, Oct. 21 — Rocket Night Life: GAYme Night, at 9:30 p.m. in the Student Union Maple Room. Hang out, play games and celebrate LGBTQ history month.
• Friday, Oct. 22 — Gay? Fine By Me! Tie-Dye Event, at 3:30 p.m. in the President’s Hall Multipurpose Room. Students can tie-dye clothing while receiving LGBTQIA+ resources from the Office of Multicultural Student Success.
• Monday, Oct. 25 — Diversity Career Connections: LGBTQ+ Professionals Panel, at 6 p.m. in Carlson Library Room 1005. Meet professionals and employers in a relaxed hybrid setting. Find out what it is like to be a LGBTQ+ professional in today’s world.
• Thursday, Oct. 28 — LGBTQA+ Family Meal, at noon in Student Union Room 2500. Join the Office of Multicultural Student Success for their LGBTQA+ Family Meal. Students can engage in conversation and discussions about issues within the LGBTQA+ community.
For more information on LGBTQA+ Month’s campus activities, visit the celebration’s Invonet site.
The William S. Carlson Library, Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections and the Office of Multicultural Student Success joined together to observe and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer history by creating a display that explores the local history of the LGBTQA+ community.
The exhibit will be on display at Carlson Library from Monday, Oct. 4, through Friday, Oct. 29. Books from the curated exhibit that share more insight into the LGBTQA+ experience also will be available for check out.
The Office of Multicultural Student Success also has a list of national LGBTQA+ resources online as well as a site devoted to the campus celebrations of LGBTQA+ History Month as well as all other History and Heritage Months.