Get your party hats on: “Rocky’s 50th Golden Birthday Celebration” is the theme of The University of Toledo’s Homecoming.
Homecoming is something different for everyone, according to Katie Smith, UT senior and Homecoming director.
“I hope that the community gets a better understanding of The University of Toledo and its rich history and traditions. There are many opportunities to participate in this year’s Homecoming, and I’d love to see people out making memories of their own.”
Gather with students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members to commemorate the UT mascot’s big day.
Homecoming week activities planned for this year include:
Monday, Oct. 10
• Casino Night, 7 to 10 p.m., Student Union Auditorium. Kick off Homecoming week with a night of Las Vegas-style entertainment. Exchange fun money for tokens to use to play at blackjack and Texas hold ’em tables, money wheels and slot machines. Or swap tokens for Chinese auction raffle tickets for a chance to win prizes.
• Midnight Breakfast, 9 to 11 p.m., Student Union South Dining Hall. Countdown to Rocky’s birthday during this midnight breakfast. Ice Cream Militia will perform. Admission is a meal swipe or monetary donation for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Tuesday, Oct. 11
• Outdoor Roller Skating Rink, 6 to 8 p.m. in parking lot 8 behind Carter Field. Roller skate with Rocky during his disco birthday party that will feature classic hits such as The Village People’s “YMCA” and a limbo competition.
Wednesday, Oct. 12
• UT Founding Date Celebration and Pep Rally, noon to 2 p.m., Centennial Mall. Celebrate Rocky’s 50th birthday and UT’s founding date with obstacle courses, corn hole, can jam and more. Sing the traditional birthday song to Rocky, have a slice of cake, and bring presents that he will donate to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The food trucks will be back on campus, and the football team and marching band will be there to psych up for the Battle of I-75!
• Pageant, 7 to 9 p.m., Student Union Ingman Room. Get to know the 2016 Homecoming king and queen nominees. Hear about their interests, talents, and favorite UT moments and traditions. Vote on awards, including Miss/Mister Congeniality and Miss/Mister Rocket Pride.
Thursday, Oct. 13
• National Pan-Hellenic Council Talent show, 7 to 9 p.m., Doermann Theater. Come see UT students compete for the title of UT’s most talented.
• Cupcake/Cookie Decorating and Trivia Night, 7 to 9 p.m., Student Union Room Auditorium. Compete in UT’s own version of Cupcake Wars: Show off your creativity by decorating cupcakes and cookies for Rocky’s birthday. Judges will select a winner based on uniqueness, presentation, imagination and neatness. How much do you know about UT’s history? Join students, faculty, alumni and community members to see who knows the most about the University.
Friday, Oct. 14
• Homecoming Alumni Gala and Awards Ceremony, 6 p.m., Student Union Auditorium. The UT Alumni Association will present this year’s Gold T, Blue T and Edward H. Schmidt Young Alum Award, and college and affiliate award winners will be honored. Tickets are $30 per person, $10 for children. For more information or to make a reservation, contact the UT Alumni Office at 419.530.ALUM (2586) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, Oct 15
• Judith Herb College of Education Parade Reception, 9 a.m., tent on north side of Gillham Hall. In celebration of the college’s 100th anniversary, join education alumni to march in the Homecoming Parade.
• The Edward C. and Helen G. Schmakel Homecoming Parade, 10:30 a.m. Sponsored by Blue Key, the parade will begin at West Bancroft Street and go to Middlesex Drive to Hughes Drive to Cheltenham Road and back on West Bancroft Street. The grand marshal for this year’s parade will be Rocky.
• Homecoming Football Pregame Party, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., William and Carol Koester Alumni Pavilion. Stop by for free hot dogs, chips and pop; live music from Five O’Clock Rush; a cash bar; and appearances by the UT Marching Band, cheerleaders and Rockettes!
• Toledo Rockets vs. Bowling Green Falcons Homecoming Game, 3:30 p.m., Glass Bowl. Cheer on the Rockets and see the crowning of the Homecoming king and queen. Tickets range from $30 to $65; $17.50 and $15 for children 12 and younger; half off for UT faculty and staff; and free for UT students with IDs. For tickets, call 419.530.GOLD (4653).
Sunday, Oct. 16
• Rocket Race, 11 a.m., UT Main Campus. Register for a 5K run/walk from Carter Field around Main Campus. $20 for students, $30 for community members. Proceeds will benefit the UT Rec Council. Registration will start at 10 a.m. or click here.
• The Golden Alumni Society Homecoming Luncheon, Inverness Club, 4601 Dorr St., Cost: $25. UT Men’s Basketball Coach Tod Kowalczyk will be the guest speaker. For more information, call the UT Alumni Office at 419.530.ALUM (2586).
For more information, go to utoledo.edu/homecoming/events.html or call the UT Alumni Office at 419.530.ALUM (2586) or the UT Office of Student Involvement at 419.530.4944