The University of Toledo Police Department and Office of Residence Life offer the following advice to help ensure everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday:
• When driving, slow down, consider the weather and road conditions, and wear your seatbelt. Get home safely. If alcohol is part of your holiday plans, make sure a designated driver is used. Never drink and drive.
• Unfortunately, at this time of year, the number of thefts increase. Students living on campus should take extra precautions and keep doors locked when visiting friends next door, going to the dining hall or sleeping. As always, do not let people you don’t know trail you into the building, and never sign people in as your guests that you aren’t familiar with.
• Students living off campus should be sure doors and windows are secure. Ask a trusted neighbor to watch over your house or apartment and report anything unusual. Do not advertise vacation plans on Facebook or MySpace. Take all valuables, especially all electronic devices such as laptops, MP3 players, game systems and GPS units, with you.
• When shopping, place valuables in the vehicle’s trunk, and be sure to use secure Web sites when making purchases online.
• When on campus, report anything unusual to UT Police at 419.530.2600