Ever wonder how to set a monthly budget? Do you know what to do if someone steals your identification? Wondering what to do about student loans? Huntington National Bank, through its partnership with The University of Toledo, is offering a series of free financial empowerment classes to help answer those questions and more.
Beginning in January, Huntington will offer monthly classes that are free and open to all UT students, faculty and staff. These classes will cover a wide variety financial education topics and are designed to ensure that every member of the University community has access to resources that will help them make informed financial decisions.
Participants are encouraged to register by calling 248.655.5635 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A sign-up sheet also will be available at the Huntington Branch in the Thompson Student Union.
Each class will be offered multiple times per day to address scheduling needs. A free lunch will be provided at the noon sessions.
Huntington Bank is the preferred provider of on-campus financial services.
The series will open Thursday, Jan. 24, in Thompson Student Union Room 2584. Listed by time, classes will be:
• 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. — Borrowing Basics. By the end of this course, participants will understand how credit works, available types of credit, and if they are ready to apply. They also will be able to identify the costs associated with getting a loan and how to guard against predatory lending practices.
• 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. — Understanding Credit. Ever wonder what a FICO score is and how yours is determined? This class will help you understand what’s factored into a credit score and offer tips to improve your score.
• Noon — Strategies for When You Have Student Loan Debt. This session will focus on student loan repayment plans, as well as home financing strategies prior to buying a home.
Future classes, listed by date, will include:
• Wednesday, Feb. 13, Thompson Student Union Room 2591 — sessions on this date have been canceled.
— 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. — How to Position Your Home to Sell;
— 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. — Money Matters; and
— Noon — Pay Yourself First.
• Monday, March 18, Thompson Student Union Room 3018
— 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. — Your New Home;
— 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. — Charge it Right; and
— Noon — Keep it Safe.
• Monday, April 15, Thompson Student Union Room 2591
— 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. — The Road to Refinance;
— 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. — Second Homes and Investment Real Estate; and
— Noon — Financial Recovery.
Huntington Bancshares Inc. is a regional bank holding company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with $105 billion of assets and a network of 968 branches and 1,831 ATMs across eight Midwestern states. Founded in 1866, Huntington National Bank and its affiliates provide consumer, small business, commercial, treasury management, wealth management, brokerage, trust and insurance services. Huntington also provides auto dealer, equipment finance, national settlement, and capital market services that extend beyond its core states.
For more information, go to the Huntington website.