The University of Toledo will recognize Jewish Heritage Month with several events in April.
Observances will start with Artists 4 Israel Wednesday, April 3, from noon to 3 p.m. on Centennial Mall.
“We invite the campus and Toledo community to join us to learn more about this artists’ rights organization that advocates for Israel,” Aleiah Jones, program coordinator with the Office of Multicultural Student Success, said.
Listed by date, other University events for Jewish Heritage Month include:
• Friday, April 5 — Shabbat 101, 7:30 p.m., Phoenicia Cuisine, fourth floor of the Thompson Student Union. Hillel members will discuss what Shabbat is — the meaning behind the prayers and rituals performed every Friday.
• Tuesday, April 9 — Project Linus, 5 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2500. Learn about Project Linus, which provides love, a sense of security and comfort to children who are ill or in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans.
• Friday, April 12 — Shabbat Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Hillel House, 2012 Brookdale Drive, Toledo.
• Sunday, April 14 — Trip to the Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills, Mich. Transportation is available to University students, but is limited; reserve a seat by calling the Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419.530.2261. The van will leave Main Campus at noon and return at approximately 4:30 p.m.
• Thursday, April 18 — Jewish Jeopardy, noon, Thompson Student Union South Dining Hall. Stop by to learn about Jewish culture and history — and for free bagels from Barry Bagels.
• Friday, April 19 — Shabbat Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Hillel House, 2012 Brookdale Drive, Toledo.
• Wednesday, April 24 — Nosh and Know: Passover 101, 12:30 p.m., Hillel House, 2012 Brookdale Drive, Toledo. Learn more about Passover, one of Judaism’s most important holidays. Meet in Thompson Student Union Room 2500 at 12:15 p.m. to walk to the Hillel House for free lunch.
• Friday, April 26 — Shabbat Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Hillel House, 2012 Brookdale Drive, Toledo.
For more information about Jewish Heritage Month, go to the Office of Multicultural Student Success website or call 419.530.2261.