It is happening: Student Appreciation Week will take place virtually Monday through Friday, April 20-24.
A variety of games and fun, informational events will be held throughout the week for a chance to win prizes.
“On behalf of the entire University, I would like to extend our sincere gratitude to our students, our UToledo Rockets,” Dr. Phillip “Flapp” Cockrell, vice president for student affairs and vice provost, said. “You mean the world to us; we are so excited you are pursuing your educational endeavors at The University of Toledo.”
Prizes to be given away during Student Appreciation Week include a one-night stay at Cedar Point, two passes for two days at Cedar Point, a set of luggage, and four $25 gift cards. Rules can be found on the Student Appreciation Week web page.
Listed by date, events presented by the Division of Student Affairs will be:
• Monday, April 20 — Make It Yourself With Vince, noon. The Office of Advocacy and Support will host this food program. Share recipes and tag friends for a chance to win a prize.
• Tuesday, April 21 — Pandemic Support Group for Students, 11 a.m. to noon and 2 to 3 p.m. The University Counseling Center is offering a virtual support group to bring students together to talk about life during the pandemic. Join via Webex.
— Trivia Tuesday, 3 to 4 p.m. Test your knowledge about Harry Potter, “Friends,” “The Office,” celebrities and music! Download the Kahoot! App from GooglePlay or the Apple Appstore, or visit kahoot.it to join the game. Questions will be live-streamed through Webex. Be ready to play; $25 Amazon gift cards will be awarded to two players.
• Wednesday, April 22 — Support Group for Students of Color, 4 to 5 p.m. The University Counseling Center and the Office of Multicultural Student Success will host this support group for students to talk about adjusting to life during the COVID-19 outbreak and taking classes online. Join via Webex.
• Thursday, April 23 — Bringing in the Bystander, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. UToledo Title IX leaders will present different strategies to help someone by safely intervening in instances of sexual violence, relationship violence or stalking. Students, faculty and staff are invited to RSVP on the Involvement Network.
— LGBTQA+ Support Group, 4 to 5 p.m. The University Counseling Center invites members of the LGBTQ+ community to reach out and connect during this virtual support session. Join via Webex.
• Friday, April 24 — Netflix Watch Party, 1 to 3 p.m. Grab some popcorn and watch “Hitch” starring Will Smith, Eva Mendes and Kevin James. Netflix will synchronize video playback and offer a group chat. Join the Netflix Party; a link will be available at 12:45 p.m. on the Student Appreciation Week web page.
— Party With a Purpose, 4 to 5 p.m. Campus partners will come together to share how they can help students remotely during the pandemic. They also will share music to get the party started every Friday at 4 p.m. This week will feature DJ Flappa, also known as Dr. Phillip “Flapp” Cockrell, vice president for student affairs and vice provost. Join via Webex.
Students also have the chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card by entering the UToledo gear social media contest. During the week, post a photo on Instagram or Facebook wearing your favorite Rocket attire; pictures will be included in an album. Students also are invited to share a story about their UToledo experience and tag @UToledoStudentAffairs. Two students will be randomly selected for the gift cards.
The Student Recreation Center also is offering virtual programming Monday through Friday, April 20-24. Classes will include Zumba, Pilates, yoga and kickboxing. Learn more on the Recreational Services website.
More information on these events and contests is available on the Student Appreciation Week web page.