This story was originally posted May 17 and updated June 3.
When it was announced two weeks ago that University of Toledo student-athletes had earned a school-record grade point average of 3.294 in the 2019 spring semester, Vice President and Director of Athletics Mike O’Brien was elated.
O’Brien recently received even better news. Following the posting of several additional grades, the Rockets’ final semester GPA checked in at 3.306, pushing the record even higher.
“I was very happy that our student-athletes achieved a record 3.294 GPA last spring, so you can imagine how I felt when I learned that we actually were above a 3.3,” O’Brien said. “In the sports world, we often put a lot of focus on numbers and statistics, so there is something significant about breaking the 3.3 mark. I know there probably aren’t any national records kept in this area, but I would guess that very few universities have ever had an athletic department earn a grade point average above a 3.3. Our student-athletes should be extremely proud of this achievement, as should all of us in Rocket Nation.”
In addition to being the highest semester GPA ever for the Rockets, the 3.306 GPA is the ninth consecutive semester in which UToledo student-athletes have earned a semester GPA of 3.2 or higher.
Women’s soccer recorded the highest team semester GPA in school history with a mark of 3.792, breaking the previous team record of 3.780 set by women’s golf in spring 2017.
Women’s swimming and diving (3.661), men’s golf (3.611) and women’s cross country (3.605) were each above the 3.6 mark, and four other sports cracked 3.5.
“Congratulations to all of our student-athletes and to women’s soccer for setting the highest team semester GPA in Toledo history,” Ericka Lavender, associate athletic director for academic services, said. “None of this would be possible without the support and great work of my staff, head coaches and administration. We would also like to thank our faculty and staff for all of their tremendous efforts on behalf of our student-athletes.”
Other highlights and academic notes from this past semester:
• A record 51 student-athletes earned president’s list honors with a perfect 4.0 GPA. The previous record was 49 in spring 2016.
• 12 student-athletes competed in their sport while enrolled in graduate school courses.
• 46.9 percent (173 of 368) earned a spot on the dean’s list by garnering at least a 3.50 GPA.
• 73.4 percent (271 of 369) made the honor roll by securing a 3.00 GPA or higher.
• 64 percent of Toledo student-athletes are enrolled in either the College of Business and Innovation, College of Engineering, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, or the College of Arts and Letters.
• An additional 27 percent Toledo student-athletes are enrolled in either the Judith Herb College of Education, College of Health and Human Services, or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
Toledo 2019 Spring Semester Team GPAs
Overall Department GPA: 3.306 (school record)
Baseball — 3.173
Men’s Basketball — 2.958
Women’s Basketball — 3.182
Men’s Cross Country — 3.053
Women’s Cross Country — 3.609
Football — 2.935
Men’s Golf — 3.611
Women’s Golf — 3.528
Softball — 3.526
Women’s Soccer —3.793*
Women’s Swimming and Diving — 3.661
Men’s Tennis — 3.481
Women’s Tennis — 3.558
Women’s Track and Field — 3.526
Women’s Volleyball — 3.492