Get your passport at UT and start exploring your world

July 2, 2012 | News, UToday
By Samantha Watson

Starting this month, The University of Toledo will be a certified regional passport agency, where students, faculty, staff and community members can apply to obtain their passports.

“This makes it really convenient for students who we’re trying to engage in more global experiences,” said Cathy Zimmer, director of relations for the Center of International Studies and Programs. “Sometimes getting a passport can be an obstacle to studying abroad.”

The Center of International Studies and Programs, the driving force behind this new service, applied to become a regional passport agency to help UT students more easily participate in study abroad, international service learning and global health programs, according to Dr. Sammy Spann, assistant provost for international studies and programs.

“Traveling abroad offers many benefits such as gaining new perspectives, learning about different cultures, and meeting new people,” Spann said.

The center will pay for the passport of any student participating in a University-approved, faculty-led study abroad program beginning this fall. Faculty members also may receive this benefit if they work with the center to develop a University-approved, faculty-led trip. Individuals will need to cover any expedition fees.

Now that UT can accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State, getting a passport is easier than ever for those who either live near or frequent the University. Applications can be turned in and photos can be taken on Main Campus after scheduling an appointment with the Center of International Studies and Programs, located in Snyder Memorial Room 1000.

To obtain a passport, individuals need to complete an application (DS-11 form) and provide proof of citizenship (birth certificate, proof of naturalization, consular report of birth abroad or certificate of citizenship) and a current photo ID (driver’s license or government-issued identification card).

U.S. citizens also can complete passport application processes at other regional agencies, such as local post offices or county clerk of court offices.

There are fees associated with getting a passport, including the $110 passport fee that goes directly to the U.S. Department of State and a $25 execution fee and $5 photo fee to the agency.

Passports generally take between four to six weeks to process; however, there is a $60 expedition fee if the passport is needed in less than four weeks. Payment of these fees must be made with cash, check or money order.

The Center of International Studies and Programs can only process U.S. passports; international students and citizens must contact their home country or embassy for passport matters.

To make an appointment for passport services, call the Center of International Studies and Programs at 419.530.5268.

The center supports internationalization efforts at UT by creating links among students, faculty and staff, visiting scholars and the community that foster cross-cultural understanding and appreciation. The center encourages global citizenship through innovative educational and cultural programming and through student and scholar exchanges.

Click to access the login or register cheese