The University of Toledo Department of Theatre and Film will turn 50 this academic year. In honor of its birthday, the department is throwing a bash this weekend.
Some have a cost; most are free. All require advance registration by Wednesday, Sept. 17. Register online at Tinyurl.com/UT50YearsOfWow or call 419.530.2452.
Listed by date, the schedule for the weekend:
Friday, Sept. 19
• Bernie’s Bash, 4 to 7 p.m., Center for Performing Arts. Dr. Bernie Coyne, department founder and former chair, will get things started with a welcoming reception/mixer. Pick up tickets for the events you registered for and have some free nosh compliments of Coyne, who will be in attendance. There will be a cash bar.
• Evening Party, 6:30 p.m. to midnight, Toledo Club, 235 14th St. Check out animation created by UT film students while country-rock and rhythm and blues band Mustang Sally performs in the parking lot. In the red room, jazz will be served up by local musicians Candice Coleman, who was a semifinalist on “American Idol,” and Chris Brown. Free UT shuttle to the event, with the last bus leaving the Toledo Club at 10 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 20
• Historical walking tours of the Center for Performing Arts, 10 a.m. to noon. Check out the installation of photos, posters, programs, memorabilia, costumes and more from recent and historical productions.
• Cabaret in the Afternoon, noon to 3 p.m., Center for Performing Arts. Performances and films by current students, past performers, alumni and others. The event will include a free lunch; a cash bar will be available. To sign up to perform, contact Kate Abu-Absi, director of UT’s Arts Living and Learning Community, at email@example.com.
• Cocktail Hour, 6:30 p.m., Toledo Club. There will be a cash bar.
• Dinner, 7:30 p.m., Toledo Club. Cost is $45 per person; payment required in advance.
• After-Dinner Program, 8:30 p.m. Tributes, memories and more will be shared.
Sunday, Sept. 21
• Brunch, 10 a.m. to noon, Toledo Club. Cost is $20 at the door.
• “Pirates of Penzance,” 2:30 p.m., Toledo Repertoire Theatre, 16 10th St. Tickets are $15 when you register for this event online.