October is Filipino American Heritage Month, and The University of Toledo is ready to celebrate.
“Filipino American Heritage Month is not only a time in which we can promote the Fil-Am culture and background, but also educate on the role that the Filipinx community plays in our everyday life,” Allan Mendoza, UT business student and president of the Filipino American Association, said. “Filipino American Heritage Month is a time in which we celebrate the importance of a population of some 3.4 million people in the United States alone.”
“Promoting diversity is central to the University’s mission statement,” Belinda Wheeler, interim systems administrator for the Toledo Excel Program and chair of Filipino American Heritage Month Planning Committee, added. “Filipino American Heritage Month affords students an opportunity to explore and celebrate a culture that may be different from their own. It is also a time to recognize the many contributions made by the Filipino people.”
Listed by date, events to take place at the University in honor of Filipino American Heritage Month are:
• Wednesday, Oct. 5 — Filipino American Heritage Month Kickoff, noon to 2 p.m., Student Union Trimble Lounge. Stop by to play trivia and games, check out the Filipino American Association information table, and see a traditional dance demonstration.
• Thursday, Oct. 6 — Paint the Spirit Rock, 8:30 p.m., the Flatlands. Join members of the Filipino American Association to add some color to the landmark on campus.
• Wednesday, Oct. 12 — Dessert Workshop, 5 p.m., Presidents Hall Multipurpose Room. Stop by to learn to make — and sample — a traditional Filipino treat.
• Monday, Oct. 17 — Dance Party, 6 to 9 p.m., University Hall Room 5130G. Get your groove on and learn some traditional Filipino American steps.
• Thursday, Oct. 20 — Filipino American Association Halloween Party, 7 to 9 p.m., Student Union Room 2584.
• Saturday, Oct. 22 — Philippine Culture Night, 5 to 10 p.m., Student Union Ingman Room. Tickets for the event that will feature dinner and entertainment are $7 for students and $10 and are available at Ask Rocky in the Student Union.
For more information on these events, call the UT Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419.530.2261.