The University of Toledo will celebrate LGBTQA History Month with several events this October.
The Office of Multicultural Student Success, LGBTQA+ Initiatives and Spectrum UT are dedicated to serving the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning and allied students.
Observing LGBTQA History Month is important for several reasons, according to Danielle Stamper, graduate assistant for LGBTQA initiatives in the Office of Multicultural Student Success.
“Celebrating honors the historic leaders of the LGBTQA+ community; celebrating offers an opportunity to highlight LGBTQA+ history and culture; celebrating creates awareness of the LGBTQA+ community for all people; and celebrating reminds us all that LGBTQA+ history is part of larger history,” she said. “As an LGBTQA+ student at UT, the fact that The University of Toledo is celebrating LGBTQA History Month demonstrates that UT is continually striving to be an ally that welcomes, respects and celebrates its LGBTQA+ students.”
Listed by date, events scheduled to increase awareness for LGBTQA History Month include:
• Wednesday, Oct. 5 — Spectrum Film Screening, “Major!” 7 p.m. in Student Union Room 2582.
• Thursday, Oct. 6 — Safe Place Training, noon, Student Union Room 2582.
— Spectrum Kickoff Meeting, 8 p.m. Student Union Room 2591.
• Monday, Oct. 10 — “Self-Hatred Is Not Therapy,” a panel discussion on conversion therapy, 6:30 p.m., Law Center McQuade Law Auditorium.
• Tuesday, Oct. 11 — All Love Photo Shoot, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Union Room 2500. Free professional shoot that will provide prints to all participants.
— Escucha Nuestras Voces/Hear Our Voices Panel, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Student Union Room 2582. Sponsored by LGBTQA+ and Latino initiatives, this event that is also part of Hispanic Heritage Month will feature Latinx individuals sharing their coming out stories.
• Wednesday, Oct. 12 — “Queering Reproductive Alliance,” panel discussion presented by Spectrum and the UT Feminist Alliance, 6:30 p.m., Student Union Room 3020.
• Friday, Oct. 14 — Toledo Pride Nite Glo 5K Run/Walk, 7 p.m., Ottawa Park. Preregister at http://toledopride.com.
• Tuesday, Oct. 18 — LGBTQA+ Advisory Meet-and-Greet, noon to 1 p.m., Student Union Room 3020.
— Spectrum Hate Crimes Candlelight Vigil, 8 to 9 p.m., Student Union Steps.
• Thursday, Oct. 20 — Spectrum Film Screening, “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” 8 p.m., Student Recreation Center Oak Room.
• Friday, Oct. 21 — Keynote Address and Performance by Mal Blum, singer-songwriter, 8 p.m., Student Union Ingman Room.
• Tuesday, Oct. 25 — LGBTQA+ Bingo, 7:30 p.m., Student Union Room 2500.
• Wednesday, Oct. 26 — “It’s Not All Rainbows and Glitter,” discussion presented by the UT Sexual Assault Education and Prevention Program, noon, Student Union Room 2579.
— Acronym Meeting, 6 p.m., Student Union Room 2500. Acronym is a support group for LGBTQA+ students.
— Film Screening, “A Litany for Survival: The Life and Work of Audre Lorde,” 6:30 p.m., Student Union Room 3020. Learn about the life of the poet who wrote about sexuality, civil rights, family politics, nature, love and anger.
• Thursday, Oct. 27 — Spectrum UT Halloween Ball, 8 p.m., Student Union Room 2591.
For more information on these events, call the UT Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419.530.2261.