Nerf gun tournaments, marble racing and more will be part of The University of Toledo’s recognition of Engineers Week, Feb. 19-25.
The annual “E-week” was started by the national organization, DiscoverE, to celebrate how engineers make a difference in the world, increase public dialogue about the need for engineers, and bring engineering to life for students, educators and parents.
Listed by date, highlights for the week will include:
Monday, Feb. 20
• E-week Kickoff Luncheon, 11 a.m., Nitschke Hall. This event will spotlight diversity as students and faculty will add pins to a map to represent their countries/states of origin.
• Tire Bowling, 3:30 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
Tuesday, Feb. 21
• Engineer for a Day, 9 a.m. Area high school students will tour UT’s engineering facilities and have lunch with College of Engineering students and professional engineers before spending the afternoon shadowing a practicing engineering professional in the community.
• Concrete Bowling, 12:30 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
• Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream, 3 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
• Catapult Competition, 4 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
• Historical Spotlight on Black Engineers, 5 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
Wednesday, Feb. 22
• Spring Career Expo, 12:30 p.m., Engineering Complex. More than 140 companies will visit campus to meet with approximately 600 UT engineering students and graduates. Read more here.
• The Mr. and Ms. Engineering pageant-style competition, 6:45 p.m., Nitschke Hall Auditorium.
Thursday, Feb. 23
• Nerf Gun Skill Tournament, noon, Nitschke Hall.
• Egg-Drop Contest, 1 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall. Students will test their small, lightweight containers designed to protect a raw egg dropped from successive heights.
Friday, Feb. 24
• Corn Hole Tournament, noon, first floor of Nitschke Hall.
• Student Entrepreneur Expo, 2:30 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall. Freshman engineering students will be showcasing their projects, which include a trash can bracket for a lawn mower, an iron-on insert to increase the size of pockets in women’s jeans, a radial dog collar, a modified ankle brace, and more.
• Balloon Rocket, 2 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
• Marble Racing, 4 p.m., first floor of Nitschke Hall.
Saturday, Feb. 25
• Private Screening of “Dream Big,” 2 p.m., Franklin Park Mall. Free passes are available; call 419.530.8040 to learn more.