This week, The University of Toledo Libraries are joining libraries nationwide to celebrate librarians and library workers and what they do for their patrons.
The theme this year is Lives Change @ Your Library, and patrons are encouraged to share how libraries have made an impact on their lives on social media using the hashtags #NLW14 and #LivesChange. Patrons can tweet to @utcarlsonlib or @mulfordlib.
“I truly feel that so many of our lives have been enriched by libraries in some way, large or small,whether it’s obtaining that perfect article for a paper or discovering an author that makes you see the world differently,” said Jodi Jameson, UT instructor and nursing librarian.
The UT Libraries will have a few public events this week:
Monday, April 14
• READ posters on display. View 2014 National Library Week READ posters at Mulford and Carlson libraries.
• Used book sale, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Stop by Carlson Library and get some great deals on books.
Tuesday, April 15
• Bibliotherapy lecture, 4 to 5 p.m. UT alumna Holly Eichner, certified therapeutic recreation specialist, will give a lecture in Mulford Library Room 420.
Wednesday, April 16
• Creative readings, 4 to 5 p.m. Listen to readings from UT students in Carlson Library Room 2010.
• Game night, 6 to 9 p.m. Join student gaming groups UT BASH and Rocket Recess for table top and video games on the second floor of Carlson Library.
Thursday, April 17
• Used book sale, during library hours beginning at 10 a.m. Find more great deals on books at Mulford Library.
“National Library Week celebrates the important role that libraries play in providing access to rich resources, including books, journals, databases, special collections and digital media,” Jameson said. “It is also a celebration of reading and the power of the written word.”
National Library Week is an observance sponsored by the American Library Association that began in 1958 and occurs each April. This year’s honorary chair is author and intellectual freedom advocate Judy Blume.
For more information, visit libguides.utoledo.edu/nlw.