Dr. Dale Dwyer, professor of business management, has published a new book, “Managing in a 21st Century Organization.”
The 11 chapters dive into the most important roles that managers play: architect, visionary, leader, change agent, decision-maker, motivator, evaluator and coach.
“This book teaches the most important lessons that all leaders and managers will need to help run their businesses and organizations,” Dwyer said.
Written for the novice manager or first-line supervisor who has assumed new responsibilities, the book helps identify and solve problems, make decisions, encourage employees to do their best work, and implement changes that face resistance from those affected by them.
“I don’t find traditional management textbooks very helpful for actually being a manager or leader,” Dwyer said. “In other words, students usually have to spend upwards of $100 on books that cover theories of management or the history of management, but never get the practical point of how to become an effective manager.”
He added, “I wrote this book because I think it will be helpful right away and continue to be helpful as leaders and managers progress upward in their respective organizations and disciplines.”
Dwyer focuses on five different lessons that all managers need to know to be successful:
• Why improving your ability to understand and manage emotions and needs is key to gaining trust from co-workers, bosses and direct reports.
• How developing both leadership competence and charisma is often a challenge for managers.
• Which of three different approaches for understanding and managing your organization you should employ and when to use them.
• Why recognizing your own biases can improve decision making.
• The crucial differences between employee training and employee development, as well as when to use them most effectively.
Dwyer joined the UToledo faculty in 1989 and is a former chair of the Department of Management in the College of Business and Innovation. He received one of the University’s Outstanding Teacher Awards, as well as the first UToledo Student Impact Award.
His other books include “Got a Minute? The 9 Lessons Every HR Professional Must Learn” (2010), as well as “Got A Solution? HR Approaches to 5 Common and Persistent Business Problems” (2014), both with co-author Dr. Sheri A. Caldwell, HR director in the Grain Group at The Andersons. Dwyer also wrote “Needy People: Working Successfully with Control Freaks and Approval-holics” (2017).
“Managing in a 21st Century Organization” can be purchased on the Kendall Hunt Publishing Co. website and on amazon.com.