Several concerts and master classes will be held this week as part of the Art Song Festival and Workshop at The University of Toledo’s Center for Performing Arts Recital Hall.
“These concerts provide artists attending the festival with the opportunity to perform while presenting the public with world-class concerts of outstanding music not often available locally in live performance,” said Dr. Denise Ritter Bernardini, UT assistant professor of music.
The Art Song Festival and Workshop is dedicated to promoting recital performances as well as to training singers and collaborative pianists in the art of recital planning and performance. This festival features master classes, voice lessons, coaching sessions and recital performances, as well as classes geared for the student and emerging professional singer and pianist.
Listed by date, the concerts that will take place in the Center for Performing Arts Recital Hall are:
• Wednesday, June 26, at 7:30 p.m. Program: A Celebration of German, Italian and American composers: Robert Schumann, Gian Carlo Menotti, Norman Dello Joio, Steven Mark Kohn. Metropolitan Opera tenor Michael Sylvester will perform.
• Thursday, June 27, at 7:30 p.m. Program: Within Spanish Borders: Diverse Treasures of Language and Song, featuring art song competition Winner Dr. Jessica Bachicha, soprano.
• Friday, June 28, at 7:30 p.m. Program: An Evening of Songs by American Composers, including Aaron Copland, Richard Hunley, Samuel Barber, Celius Dougherty, Dominick Argento and Lee Hoiby.
• Saturday, June 29, at 7:30 p.m. Program: Do You Know the Land Where the Citrus Trees Bloom? Works by German and Italian composers, including Franz Schubert, Robert Schumann, Hugo Wolf, Ermanno Wolf Ferrari and Reynaldo Hahn, will be featured.
• Sunday, June 30, at 5 p.m. Program: Art Song Festival Concert that will showcase where all participants will perform; Dr. Michael Boyd, UT professor of music, will play piano.
Master classes also will take place: Thursday, June 27, from 10 a.m. to noon; Friday, June 28, from 4:30 to 6 p.m.; Saturday, June 29, from 4:30 to 6 p.m.; and Sunday, June 30, from noon to 2 p.m.
An art song festival ticket is $60 for all concerts and master classes. Concert tickets are $10, and master class tickets are $10.
Tickets are available at the door or in advance in the Music Department Office, located in the Center for Performing Arts Room 1030.
For more information go to the UT Department of Music website at utoledo.edu/cvpa/music.