School is nearly back in session, and The University of Toledo is ready to welcome new and returning residents to campus.
New students can begin moving into residence halls Monday, Aug. 18, at Carter Hall, Parks Tower, and MacKinnon, Scott and Tucker halls. In addition, honors students who will reside on the fourth floor of the International House can move in.
New residents will continue to move in to other residence halls Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 19-21, with returning students moving in Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 22-24. Move in hours are from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day. Click here for more information.
Welcome Week, which is coordinated by the UT Office of Residence Life, will begin with move-in and continue with events to help incoming residents prepare for the college experience and connect students with the people, places and resources of the University before fall semester classes start Monday, Aug. 25.
Listed by date, some of the Welcome Week events include:
Monday, Aug. 18
• Movie on the Mall, 9 to 11 p.m., Centennial Mall. Watch “21 Jump Street.” Popcorn, cotton candy and drinks will be provided. Students are encouraged to bring blankets or portable chairs.
Tuesday, Aug. 19
• Kickback BBQ, 5 to 8 p.m., the grasslands by Ottawa House. Dining and Catering Services will bring the food, and WXUT will provide the music. There’ll be special appearances by UT mascots Rocky and Rocksy, along with giveaways, prizes and information from student organizations and University departments.
Wednesday, Aug. 20
• Taste of Gateway, 6 to 9 p.m., storefront patio entrance of Gateway. Jimmy John’s will provide food, and Great Clips will set up hairstyling stations. Corpus Christi will bring corn hole and other games, and student organizations and UT departments will provide giveaways, prizes and information.
• Karaoke and VIP Student Shopping Night, 7:30 to 9 p.m., UT Bookstore. There’ll be a karaoke contest with grand prizewinners, a Facebook photo contest for the best UT gear, and student discounts on café drinks and desserts.
Thursday, Aug. 21
• Greek Life BBQ, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Flatlands. New students and parents are welcome to partake of a quick lunch — hot dogs, chips, cookies, water — during move-in. There’ll be music and giveaways, and students can learn about fraternity and sorority life.
• S’Mores with National Resident Halls Honorary, 7 to 8 p.m., the grasslands by Ottawa House. Sunglasses and T-shirts will be raffled off.
• Welcome Bonfire with the Resident Student Association, 8 p.m., the Flatlands. Students will learn about the Resident Student Association, meet the Blue Crew, and take part in a UT tradition by painting the spirit rock.
Friday, Aug. 22
• Commuter Student Reception, 2 to 4 p.m., Student Union Ingman Room. First-year and transfer commuter students are encouraged to attend this mixer and have some free ice cream before the New Student Convocation.
• New Student Convocation, 4 p.m., Savage Arena. UT Interim President Nagi Naganathan, faculty, staff and student leaders will come together to greet the class of 2018 as students mark the beginning of their academic journey. The event will be followed by an outdoor cookout in Lot 10.
• Free Open Ropes Course, Student Recreation Center, 7 p.m. Try the high ropes course, which is made up of eight obstacles hanging three stories about the basketball courts.
• Foam Party, 7 p.m., the Flatlands. Get ready to dance and be lathered in foam!
Saturday, Aug. 23
• Sig Ep Slip and Slide, 11 a.m., hill by Parks Tower. Meet classmates and have some fun and free food.
• Campus Activities and Programming Paint U, the Flatlands, 7:30 p.m. There’ll be music, dancing and paint. Be there!
Sunday, Aug. 24
• Campus Activities and Programming BBQ, noon, Centennial Mall.
• Jam Session, 3 p.m., Centennial Mall. This event offers an introduction to some of UT’s multicultural student organizations and support offices, and it’ll include a step show by members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Greek Independent Board.
Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 25 and 26
• Welcome Station Launch Pads, 8 a.m., various areas across Main Campus. Administrators, faculty and staff will be on hand to answer questions and hand out water bottles and gifts while supplies last.
Wednesday, Aug. 27
Student Organization Fair, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Centennial Mall. There’s an organization for everyone; see for yourself! Get involved!
Friday, Aug. 29
• Music Fest, 4 to 11:30 p.m., Rocket Hall parking lot. The Infatuations, Alexander Zonjic with The Motor City Horns and Serieux, David Cook and Mike Posner. A pep rally will take place at 5 p.m. to psyche up for the Rockets’ first home football game versus New Hampshire Saturday, Aug. 30, at 7 p.m. in the Glass Bowl.
Saturday, Aug. 30
• President’s Tailgate, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., tent near Rocket Hall and University Parks Trail. Meet UT Interim President Nagi Naganathan, play some games for a chance to win prizes, and eat some free food before the UT-New Hampshire football game.
• Music Fest Encore, 4 p.m., Rocket Hall lot. See Red Wanting Blue.
• UT vs. New Hampshire, 7 p.m., Glass Bowl. Students are admitted free with their Rocket ID; faculty and staff can buy tickets half off with ID; $25.
Click here for more information about these and additional events planned to help students get the academic year off to a great start.