The University of Toledo will celebrate LGBTQA History Month with several events this October.
The Office of Multicultural Student Success, LGBTQA Initiatives and Spectrum UT are dedicated to serving the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and allied students.
“It is important to celebrate LGBT History Month because, like any other marginalized group, LGBT people’s history has been erased from popular media. It’s critical to know how LGBT people got to where we are today, with things such as marriage equality and representation in TV and film,” said Jack Alferio, president of Spectrum UT.
“Although we have come very far since the Compton Cafeteria Riots, the event that is recognized as being the beginning of the LGBT rights movement, we still have a long way to go,” Alferio added. “The fact that LGBT people have not reached true liberation from oppression is why we continue to celebrate LGBT History Month each October.”
Listed by date, events scheduled to increase awareness for LGBTQA History Month include:
Thursday, Oct. 1
• “Learn the Facts,” 8 p.m., Student Union Room 2591.
Thursday, Oct. 8
• “Gender Spectrum,” 8 p.m., Student Union Room 2592.
Monday, Oct. 12
• LGBTQA History Month Celebration, 7 to 9 p.m., Student Union Ingman Room.
Tuesday, Oct. 13
• All Love Photo Shoot, 3 to 5 p.m., Student Union Room 2500. Free professional shoot that will provide prints to all participants.
Thursday, Oct. 15
• Spectrum Drag/Talent Show, 8 to 10 p.m., Rocky’s Attic in the Student Union.
Tuesday, Oct. 20
• Spectrum Hate Crimes Candlelight Vigil, 7 to 9 p.m., Student Union Steps.
Thursday, Oct. 22
• Spectrum Film Screening, “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” 8 p.m., Student Recreation Center Oak Room.
Monday, Oct. 26
• Cake Social, noon to 2:30 p.m., Student Union Room 2500.
Thursday, Oct. 29
• Keynote address by Katharine Blaque, who will talk about intersectionality and her experience as a black transgender woman, 8 p.m., Student Union Room 2591.
Friday, Oct. 30
• Spectrum UT Halloween Ball, 7 to 10 p.m., Student Recreation Center Oak Room.
For more information on these events, call the UT Office of Multicultural Student Success at 419.530.2261.