Several events in honor of LGBTQ History Month will take place at The University of Toledo.
“LGBTQ History Month provides folks with opportunities to learn about, honor and celebrate the LGBTQA+ community,” Danielle Stamper, program coordinator in the Office of Multicultural Student Success, said. “I am really excited that a lot of our events this month are about educating folks on LGBTQA+ inclusionary practices. It has been really difficult to watch LGBTQA+ rights be continuously challenged on a national level, and I am looking forward to our campus progressing forward with inclusionary efforts for LGBTQA+ folks.”
Listed by date, events scheduled to increase awareness for LGBTQ History Month include:
• Monday, Sept. 30 — LGBTQ History Month Kickoff, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Centennial Mall. Check out the display of the different flags in the LGBTQA+ community and learn the history behind the banners. Pick up mini-flags and rainbow treats.
• Wednesday, Oct. 9 — UTrans* Meeting, 4 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 3522. Celebrate National Coming Out Day by sharing your story. UTrans* is a student organization for transgender and nonbinary individuals to connect and learn in solidarity.
— What is the LGBTQQIP2SAA Community and How to be an Ally, 6 p.m., MacKinnon Hall Room 1370. Dr. Glenn Sheldon, professor in the Jesup Scott Honors College, and Dr. Carla Pattin, instructor of Africana studies, will lead this introduction to the alphabet soup of identities or refresher for those somewhat familiar to the spectrum and what it all means.
• Wednesday, Oct. 16 — International Pronoun Day, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thompson Student Union Steps. LGBTQA+ Initiatives will provide information about pronouns — why they are important and how to use them. Stop by to learn and pick up a pronoun button.
• Friday, Oct. 18 — Inclusive Safer Sex, 2 p.m., Catharine S. Eberly Center for Women, located in Tucker Hall Room 0152.
• Monday, Oct. 21 — Screening of “From Selma to Stonewall: Are We There Yet?” 5:30 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2500. This film marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising to inspire new activists.
• Thursday, Oct. 23 — LGBTQA+ Initiatives Ted Talk, 5 to 6 p.m., Thompson Student Union Room 2500. The Office of Multicultural Student Success is hosting this guided panel discussion. Light refreshments will be served.
• Friday, Oct. 25 — UTrans* and the Sexuality and Gender Alliance Halloween Party, 3 p.m., location to be announced. Costumes are encouraged!
• Sunday, Oct. 27 — Halloween Drag Brunch With Hershae Chocolatae, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Center for Alumni and Donor Engagement, 4510 Dorr St. Chocolatae appeared on “America’s Got Talent.” Ticket information will be available soon; UToledo students can email Stamper at email@example.com for free tickets.
For more information, go to the Office of Multicultural Student Success website.