Eight members of Rocket Marching Band are performing in the College Band Directors National Association Intercollegiate Marching Band.
They will join nearly 1,500 performers from 200 bands in 45 states and Puerto Rico, all working together to produce a virtual college marching band show that will premiere as an online video during halftime of the College Football Playoff national championship game on Jan. 11.
The performers from the Rocket Marching Band are:
• Eric Alexander, fifth-year baritone, majoring in electrical engineering technology;
• Michael Browder, fourth-year drum major, majoring in recreational therapy;
• Brandon Hoskins, fifth-year snare drum, majoring in civil engineering;
• Sydney Lent, fourth-year drum major, majoring in nursing;
• Nick Lorenz, fourth-year sousaphone, majoring in music education;
• Cameron Ortman, fifth-year piccolo, majoring in entrepreneurship;
• Regan Simon, fourth-year piccolo, majoring in exercise science; and
• Ashley Venrick, fifth-year drum major, majoring in music education.
“The dedication and creativity demonstrated by all our student members this fall is a credit to their attitude and character,” said Dr. Andrew Rhodes, UToledo associate director of bands. “We are so thankful to have such outstanding individuals representing the passion of our Rocket Marching Band on the national stage and taking part in this exciting showcase of excellence.”
The College Band Directors National Association and its Intercollegiate Marching Band initiative will combine college marching bands from different conferences, regions and styles in a single performance of “End of Time” by Beyonce.
The performance will showcase all of the aspects of a college halftime show including musicians, drum majors, color guard members, dancers and majorettes.
“This is going to be a historical performance,” said Dr. Mark Spede, president of the College Band Directors National Association and the director of bands at Clemson University. “In this unusual year when bands have been unable to perform their traditional pregame and halftime shows during college football games, CBDNA is pleased to offer this opportunity with the help of its partners.”