To better prepare spring graduates for future employment, Career Services is providing a weekend online shopping event and sessions to prepare for upcoming job fairs.
The JCPenney Rocket Suit Up Event will take place Friday, Feb. 12, through Sunday, Feb. 14, when participants can shop at JCPenney online or in-store using their special JCPenney Rocket Suit Up discount coupon.
“Career Services is once again excited to partner with JCPenney to host the spring Suit Up event both in-store and online,” said Shelly Drouillard, director of Career Services.
“We were intentional in selecting the February date to help students get interview-ready for all of the upcoming career fairs that will be taking place this semester. We hope many Rocket students, alumni, faculty and staff will take advantage of the great savings available on a wide range of professional attire.”
Career Services also will stream several Job Fair prep sessions, featuring professionals from LinkedIn, Mercy Health, Owens Corning, Target and Lucas County Sheriff’s Department, from 1 through 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 16, via Webex. The sessions include:
• Cleaning Up Your Digital Dirt at 1 p.m. Nearly 60% of employers who check job candidates’ social media say content they have seen has caused them not to consider a job applicant. Learn how social media affects your brand and how it can make you shine to future employers.
• Making Virtual Connections: How to Not Leave Your Future Employer in the Dark at 2 p.m. Even as the pandemic ends, making virtual connections will continue to be important. Learn from employers how to stand out during virtual networking.
• Handshake Virtual Fairs: Navigating Your Career Fair Experience at 3 p.m. Not sure how the virtual career fair works? This session offers a quick tutorial on Handshake Virtual Fairs and why it’s important to sign up for sessions.
• Resume Roundtable at 4 p.m. What do recruiters think about resumes? Bring your questions and join us in a roundtable discussion focused on standing out in a paper crowd.
• Career Fair Cram – Criminal Justice and Public Service Edition at 4 p.m. Are you prepared for your upcoming career fair? Get some last-minute tips from recruiters and career services staff to help you feel confident attending the fair.
“Students from all majors can participate in any of the sessions to get prepared for an upcoming career fair or other employer networking event,” Drouillard said.
Career Services also will be hosting additional “career fair cram” sessions closer to individual career fairs that will include employer representatives to help prepare students.