Friday, July 28, is the deadline to submit nominations for this year’s Diamante Awards.
Founded in 1989 by IMAGE of Northwest Ohio, a local Latino advocacy group, the Diamante Awards celebrate the profound and lasting influence that Latinos have on American history, values and culture.
In addition, the event raises scholarship funds for Latino youth seeking degrees at area colleges and universities.
The Diamante Awards is a collaboration between The University of Toledo, Bowling Green State University, Lourdes University and Owens Community College, in cooperation with the Latino Alliance of Northwest Ohio.
The 28th annual event will take place Thursday, Sept. 14, at the Wolfe Center for the Performing Arts at Bowling Green State University.
“It’s perfect the Diamante Awards dinner will be held on the eve of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which is celebrated Sept. 15 through Oct. 15,” Dr. Michele Soliz, UT assistant vice president for student success and inclusion, said. “The University of Toledo is proud to work with area schools to recognize and promote Latinos and their successes, and to help raise funds for scholarships.”
Nominations are sought for:
• Latino/Latina Youth Leadership: Recognizes a young person of Latino descent between the ages of 16 and 21 who has made an impact within the northwest Ohio community.
• Latino/Latina Adult Leadership: Recognizes an adult of Latino descent age 21 and older who has demonstrated significant leadership in any area in northwest Ohio.
• Latino/Latina Adult Professional: Recognizes the contributions from professionals of Latino descent making a significant impact in their workplace or profession.
• Corporation/Community Agency: This group category recognizes an entity for supporting and making an impact within the northwest Ohio community.
• Friend of the Latino Community: Recognizes the contribution of an individual, of non-Latino descent, who is making an impact on the Latino community in northwest Ohio.
Nomination forms can be found at diamantetoledo.org/nomination.html.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 567.343.3432.