The University of Toledo President Sharon L. Gaber and Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz will kick off the start of the second annual Rocket Week with an official proclamation and ceremonial raising of the UToledo athletics flag at a news conference at One Government Center Friday, Sept. 6, at 10 a.m.
Rocket Week is a series of special events leading up to the home-opening football game of the Toledo Rockets. The Rockets will host Murray State Saturday, Sept. 14, at 7 p.m. at the Glass Bowl.
In addition to the location at One Government Center, Rocket flags will be in place at other city buildings and parks. Along with promoting Rocket Week, Gaber and Kapszukiewicz will be asking businesses and fans to fly their Rocket flags during the week leading up to the first home game and all season long.
As part of Rocket Week, UToledo and the city of Toledo also will recognize city employees during the game and during pregame festivities.
Some of the events during Rocket Week include the annual Backyard Barbecue Tuesday, Sept. 10, at noon and a pep rally at 12:30 p.m. on Centennial Mall, as well as downtown pep rallies Thursday and Friday, Sept. 12 and 13. The Thursday pep rally will take place at Levis Square at noon during Lunch at Levis. The pep rally Friday will continue a tradition in which the Rocket Marching Band performs at various establishments in the entertainment district that evening, marching through the downtown streets between each performance.
Another exciting event during Rocket Week will be the Battle of the Badges flag football game between the city of Toledo fire and police departments Wednesday, Sept. 11, in the Glass Bowl. Tickets are $15 and include admission to the Rockets’ home opener Sept. 14. Three dollars from every ticket sold will be donated to each organization’s charity. The fire department is donating to Toledo Firefighters’ Local 92 Charity, while the police department is contributing to the Toledo Police Patrolman’s Association. Go to the police ticket website or the fire department ticket website.
Throughout Rocket Week, and especially on Rocket Thursday, fans are encouraged to wear their Rocket gear or school colors midnight blue and gold in support of UToledo. The University celebrates Rocket Thursday each week throughout the school year.
As a special promotion for the home opener, city of Toledo employees have the option of purchasing tickets for $12 prior to game day by using the promo code TOLEDO. All others in the Toledo community may purchase tickets for $19 from Friday, Sept. 6, through Friday, Sept. 13, (prior to game day) by using the promo code ROCKET.
For more information about Rocket Week or to order tickets, stop by the UT Athletic Ticket Office, located in the Sullivan Athletic Complex at Savage Arena, go to the Toledo Football Central website, or call 419.530.GOLD (4653). UToledo students are admitted free with their Rocket ID; faculty and staff can buy tickets half price with ID.
Rocket Week Events
Sunday, Sept. 8
• 1 p.m. — Rocket Women’s Soccer vs. Wright State at Paul Hotmer Field. Tickets are $6 and $4 for 18 and younger; UToledo employees can purchase tickets at half price; and UToledo students are admitted free with ID. Go to UToledo soccer ticket website or call 419.530.GOLD (4653).
Tuesday, Sept. 10
• Noon — Backyard Barbecue on Centennial Mall.
• 12:30 p.m. — Pep Rally on Centennial Mall.
Wednesday, Sept. 11
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Health Science Campus Picnic in the Four Seasons Bistro and outside the Health Education Building.
• 12:30 p.m. — Memorial Stair Climb in the Glass Bowl.
• 6:30 p.m. — Toledo Fire vs. Toledo Police Battle of the Badges Flag Football Game in the Glass Bowl. Tickets are $15 and include admission to the Rockets’ home opener Sept. 14.
Thursday, Sept. 12
• Noon — Pep Rally at Lunch at Levis at Levis Square in downtown Toledo.
Friday, Sept. 13
• 9 to 10:30 p.m. — Rocket Marching Band Pep Rally Parade in downtown entertainment district.
Saturday, Sept. 14
• 7 p.m. — Toledo vs. Murray State in the Glass Bowl.
For more information, go to the Rocket Week website.